With local results a solid part of most regular SERPs, it's necessary for most businesses to continue to build more local link opportunities. Below are 35 you can go after, many through connections you've already made.
1. Sponsor a local animal shelter. Many of these are very city themed and link out to donors (I've seen as low as $10).
2. Sponsor a local meetup group.
A site:meetup.com plus city should let you see the most valuable pages Google has indexed that relate to that city. Most have a link to click to provide them with an offer. Paid links shmaid links, whatever, if you offer them your office space for their meetings, I don't see a problem with them putting your link under sponsors to identify that meetings are held at your business.
3. Have anyone in the company running a marathon or race that is city specific and they have a "help me raise money" page? If the fundraising domain has the city name in it and the page is able to have links, why not drop one in? But then there's the whole racing thing.....good luck with that.
4. Go speak at a local college.
Whether it's an intro to marketing course or a senior leadership class, a night class speaking engagement that takes 30 minutes give you some goodwill from the college community, gets your name out there, and most likely a link from either the course syllabus, teacher's page, school events page, etc. All of which are probably city or state themed.
5. Is your business in a corporate park, strip mall, actual mall? Many of these places have websites that could link out to your business like www.kingofprussiamall.com linking out to Gertrude Hawk Chocolates.
6. Your local community development center probably has a business directory. It's very likely to have the name of the city or community in the title. It's extremely likely it'll link out to you, like FairmountCDC.org links out to Ali's Wagon.
7. There are plenty of local forums with city name in title where you can post legit dofollow forum signature links. Is there value? Minimal. Are you getting a free city themed link from a site like http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/forum/south-philadelphia/17387-i-95-history-lession.html while you're able to talk about the history of i-95? You betcha.
8. Have you purchased anything from a local artist for the business? If so, take a picture of it, shoot it over and see if they'll link to you. Artists enjoy seeing their work hanging up. You'll probably get a link, and if not, ask for one.
From here down, it's all about who you've worked with and what has physically been done to your business. The main idea here is testimonials.
9. Have you recently had your business remodeled? What company did you use and if you provide a glowing testimonial, will they link back to you from their site? They should.
10. Did you hire a local SEO firm? Ask for that link under clients or ask if you can provide a testimonial in exchange for a link.
11. Do you use a local janitorial service for the office? Do they have a site and can you provide that testimonial for a link?
12. Had an event catered recently? Find their site, be willing to say nice things for a link.
13. Have you rented a limo or party bus? Site, request link in exchange for testimonial.
14. Hired a junk removal service? Get the link.
15. Hired a local photographer, graffiti artist? Find site, request.
16. Used a real estate agency to buy or find a rental? Use a title company? Find site, request.
17. Have donuts, bagels, or coffee delivered? Find site, testimonial for a link.
18. Have water or groceries delivered to your business? Find site, testimonial for a link.
19. Had a plumber, electrician, painting or window installation company service your business? Find sites, testimonial for a link.
20. Book a trip through a local travel agency? Get the link.
21. Leased computer, construction, furniture, or any other equipment? Get the link with a testimonial.
22. Hired a local copywriter? Provide a testimonial, or if you're a big company, just ask them to put you in a Clients tab linked up if you're not already there.
23. Used a moving company? Find, get.
24. Hired a band or motivational speaker, clown? Find site, link.
25. Hired company to help train your employees in advanced excel? Testimonial, link.
26. Had an inspection from an independent inspector (or appraiser)? Find site, link.
27. Rented out a conference room or consistently renting out coworking space? Get the link.
28. Hired a masseuse, chiropractor, therapist, psychologist, grief counselor, or any service specific to employees (even a consultant to fire employees)? Get the link.
29. Had carpets, tile, or general contracting work done? If you like it, provide the testimonial in exchange for a link.
30. Used a local promotional products company? Get the link.
31. Hired a landscaping company to make things pretty outside company headquarters? Testimonial & get the link.
32. Used a local IT company for troubleshooting/outsourcing IT work? Link.
33. Purchased any type of vehicle for the business? Testimonial to the local car dealership & get the link.
34. Had a company happy hour? Get the link
35. Hire a local design firm? Done.
Almost all of the companies you would use to do all of the things above have websites. 99% of them would love a testimonial and all you have to do is ask if they're ok with you providing a fantastic testimonial if they'll link to your company.
If you used a real estate agency (1) to find a rental space in a mall (2) you're going to use a moving company (3), have electrical work fixed to fit your needs (4), paint, (5), fix plumbing (6), rent or buy furniture & office equipment (7), after you demo (8) and get rid of the junk left from construction (9). Then you put down carpet or tile (10) and take a limo (11) to a happy hour at a rented room (12) that is catered (13) to celebrate your new business. You invite your newly hired SEO (14) firm and design agency (15). I'll stop there.
You'll find a lot of local opportunities here. If they're not local for you, they're still great linking opportunities for things you've already paid for, so make the most of them & get the link.