Earlier this year, Google released a Beta ad format that enables us to share visual stories with potential customers, in addition to Display, Shopping, and YouTube.
What are Discovery Ads?
- Visually rich, mobile-optimized clickable image ads that use the power of user intent
- These ads are based on Google’s signals from peoples’ website visits, app downloads, videos watched, and map searches
- Targeted with audiences rather than keyword-based targeting (similar to In-Market Audiences)
- Run across the mobile YouTube home feed, Gmail social & promotions tabs, and Google Discover feed (iOS, Android Google app and mobile Google.com)
“Google is positioning Discovery Ads as an alternative to Facebook and Instagram since Discovery is a browseable, feed-based surface which gives advertisers an opportunity to extend their digital footprint to hundreds of millions of Google users globally, with a single campaign, leveraging rich user intent signals to meet a user’s expectations when they’re eager to learn more and ready to take action.” – James Anthony, Seer’s Google rep
What is Discover?
Discover is a feed that appears on the home page of Google’s iOS and Android app, as well as the mobile Google.com homepage. Users are able to personalize their feeds so they see content that pertains to them.
Unlike Google Search Ads, people don’t need to enter a search query to have these ads appear. Google sorts users into audiences based on activity and serves ads relevant to that person.
How Will This Help Your Accounts?
- Increase brand awareness
- Promote products and services while building the brand’s image
- New inventory helps to expand reach and traffic
- Visually impactful ad format, capturing customers’ attention
Assets Required with Discovery Ads
- Headline (90 characters)
- Description (90 characters)
- Business Name (25 characters)
- Ad Specs for Discovery ads here.
Campaign Performance Post-Implementation
On 8/5, Seer launched a net new Discovery campaign for a client that was seeing significant decreases in page views to the homepage Year Over Year. Since launching, this campaign has seen:
- 1,414,264 impressions (8.5% of all campaign’s impressions)
- 101,397 clicks (19.2% of all campaigns’ clicks)
- 890 conversions (1.2% of all campaign’s conversions)
- $15.91 CPA (36.36% under our goal CPA of $25)
- 26,015 sessions to the homepage (+152.57% year over year)
While conversion volume is low compared to other Paid Search campaigns running in this account, Seer is happy with the impression volume as well as the CPA, given that this is incremental volume and this ad format is aimed at increasing brand awareness.
We definitely recommend leveraging this ad format if you’re able (still in Beta)! Reach out with your findings and be sure to sign up for our newsletter below to get all the digital industry updates.