case study • Dec 2, 2019
GA 360 Remarketing Leads to 23% Higher ROI & $1.69MM Projected Revenue Within A Year
- CLIENT: AMResorts
- INDUSTRY: Travel & Hospitality
- SERVICES: Analytics, PPC, SEO
- RESULTS: New audiences incurred only 28% of the cost, but earned 44% of the total revenue among AMResorts’ remarketing campaigns. The projected impact on revenue is over $1.69 MM in a single year, and $8.5 MM across a 5-year period.
AMResorts is a collection of luxury resort destinations spanning over 7 different brands, over 6 countries and 23 destinations. They first partnered with Seer so that they could implement tracking in a way that helped them identify and understand their audience better across all of their brands, as well as look at search holistically.
In one of the first analyses we worked on for AMResorts, we began to dig through the data being collected from our implementation and performed an analysis of their audiences across their brand websites, how users were navigating through the site, as well as how they were navigating through the different booking engine paths and converting.
Specifically, we were interested in seeing what the user journey looks like for people that navigate through the land-only booking engine (hotel vacation only, without flight).
We used Google Analytics 360 Advanced Analysis to build the funnel for each of the steps in the booking funnel to visualize the drop-off at each step of the process.
First, we noticed that the drop-off rates are very consistent across brand segments. The largest drop-off stages for all brand segments were on the Select Resort page (Step 1), and Guest Information Summary page (Step 4).
Our hypothesis was that these cart abandoners may have been researching options and prices without being ready to buy at that stage, or may simply not be ready to commit to the booking yet.
Our recommendation was to use remarketing audiences in paid search to retarget Land Only Step 1 Cart Abandoners and Land Only Step 4 Cart Abandoners with the brand site and/or resort they were viewing in their session.
The Seer Paid Search team imported four Google Analytics 360 Audiences into Google Ads and initiated Remarketing Lists for Search Ads (RLSA) campaigns.
The goal of these RLSA campaigns were to:
- Increase Bookings and Conversion Rates
- Increase Revenue
- Surpass AMR’s 2019 PPC ROI Goal
In terms of initial performance, after running the campaigns for two months, 44% of the total revenue earned from all 19 remarketing campaigns came from the four new Seer audiences, while only 28% of the total cost was spent on attracting these groups. Overall, the four Seer audiences surpassed the annual PPC ROI goal by 90%.
Both Land-Only Cart Abandoner segments had the highest return on ad spend and return on investment out of all the remarketing audience segments, demonstrating the ability of targeted ad campaigns to allow for less wasted spend with much higher returns.
If these campaigns ran for a full 12 months, the projected impact on revenue is over $1.69 MM in a single year, and $8.5 MM across a 5 year period.
- Increase Bookings and Conversion Rates: These four audiences average 4% higher bookings with 153% higher CVR
- Increase Revenue: The projected impact on revenue is over $1.69 MM in a single year, and $8.5 MM across a 5 year period.
- Surpass AMR’s 2019 PPC ROI Goal: The four Seer audiences are 90% above our PPC ROI goal.