AMResorts® (AMR) is North America’s fastest growing luxury leisure resort company. It is part of the brand portfolio for Apple Leisure Group, North America’s only vertically-integrated travel, hospitality, and leisure management group. AMR provides sales, marketing and brand management services to its collection of resorts, which offer high-quality Endless Privileges®, Unlimited-Luxury® and Unlimited-Fun® vacations to the luxury leisure market.
When Seer’s partnership began, AMResorts was managing a portfolio of 8 brands throughout Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Curacao, and Panama. With each brand having multiple resorts in different countries, AMR was managing 46 individual sites. This led to concerns around development costs and tracking scalability for AMR’s growing portfolio.
The Seer Analytics team was brought on board to create a scalable tracking implementation—from strategy and planning all the way to execution, where our core tracking could be used across all 46 websites for AMResorts.
Our client already had Google Analytics 360 and Google Tag Manager 360, but they weren’t using any of GTM 360’s key features. Our strategy was to use a tool they already had and leverage one of its most powerful features, Zones, to house any and all tracking under one container. For this project, we set the following goals:
- Tag all of AMResorts’ 46 sites without needing to create and implement unique code snippets on each site.
- Implement tracking in a scalable way so that when new brands and sites are launched, our core tracking carries over.
- Make things as simple as possible for the AMResorts’ developers, so that they’re not having to add 46 containers on 46 sites.
- Consolidate pre-existing conversion and ad performance tracking.
Our first step was to determine what a scalable and efficient container structure would look like. GTM 360’s Zones were the perfect solution for such a structure. A zone allows you to load a container within a container—and fire tracking in that loaded container.
Core tracking for all sites would live in a master container, while specific containers would load as Zones on their appropriate website only.
Without Zones, any site-specific or pre-existing conversion tracking would have had to be added by 1) adding site-specific GTM containers on their respective sites, or 2) manually exporting and importing the tags, which is not scalable.
Once we figured out the container structure, our methodology was as follows:
- Create a single GTM container to be added to all of AMResorts’ sites.
- Create site-specific containers that can be loaded onto the master container using Zones.
- Load agency-specific containers using Zones and fire where appropriate.
- Tag AMResorts’ sites based on the site template so that the tracking will carry over across multiple sites, as long as they are built with the same template.
- Build a comprehensive setup in GTM so that data is sent to the correct Google Analytics property (or other platform, like Ads or Facebook).
Zones allowed our team to apply tracking efficiently at scale.
Instead of the dev team wasting time adding multiple GTM containers across each individual site, we ended up having just one container across all 46 websites.
The end product was a flexible implementation, allowing us to be streamlined and scale the work at the same time to better accommodate our client’s growing portfolio.
For more context, watch the video walkthrough below:
Total Websites Tagged
Total Cost Savings
"The execution of Zones not only allows us to better leverage our investment in GA 360, but it enables us to follow best practices for GTM container deployment across our ever-expanding portfolio of B2C and B2B websites, and various web platforms. Leveraging Zones, in addition to the buildout of the expansive library of variables, triggers, and tags within all containers, is exactly why we chose to work with Seer."