The 1-Minute Solution:
1. Copy this into your browser: chrome://settings/help
2. Ensure it says you're running version 72.0.3626.121 (Official Build)
3. If not, hit "relaunch" and Chrome should go fetch and update your browser automatically*
*Note for all you tab hoarders: it should re-open all your windows and tabs, but bookmark anything you don't want to lose just in case 😬.
Because the bug presents a security risk - Google is locking down details until most users have updated their browser with the fixed version.
Unconfirmed by Google, but experts digging in landed on this being a potentially pretty intrusive threat:
"The potential is there for exploits to be crafted that could enable an attacker to remotely run arbitrary code (a remote code execution attack) whilst escaping the browser's built-in sandbox protection" David Winder, Forbes, Google Confirms Serious Chrome Security Problem - Here's How to Fix It (Follow him on Twitter)
Justin Schuh who leads Google Chrome's Security gave us an ASAP PSA on Twitter as well:
Also, seriously, update your Chrome installs... like right this minute. #PSA
— Justin Schuh 🗑 (@justinschuh) March 6, 2019
We suggest following these folks for the latest updates:
- David Winder, Cyber-Security Contributor at Forbes, @happygeek
- Justin Schuh, Principal Engineer & Director on Chrome Security & Desktop at Google Chrome , @justinschuh
- Catalin Cimpanu, Security Reporter at ZDNet, @campuscodi