E-commerce - The Value of a Discount Page
- Increase visibility with an audience that is brand loyal but looking to save money where possible
- Compete with discount code websites that have earned the trust of Google
- Create a landing that speaks in the brand voice and highlights their unique value proposition
- Generate sales
- Landing page has helped to contribute toward $1.6M in sales to date
Your customers are searching for your brand, but they want to save money on their purchase.
Coupon and discount websites exist, have invested in digital marketing strategies, and have gained enough trust from Google to earn visibility for your branded search terms.
The Solution (a real example):
The following e-commerce business created its own deals page to explain current promotions and discounts in a tone that fits the brand message.
Admitting that they don’t typically offer discount and coupon codes, they treated this page as an opportunity to explain the brand’s value proposition and key selling points. This was enough to build the consumers’ trust (so that they would not leave the site to look for deals from competitors) and in fact make a purchase.
How They Did It
- Called out right away that it is out of the norm they run discount codes, and explained how manufacturers control most of the promotional opportunities related to sales.
- Pointed out the fact that they offer a price match policy and that it is prominent on every page of the site.
- Reminded visitors of the everyday benefits of shopping with them.
- Already low prices
- Free shipping on purchases that meet a specific sales criteria
- Excellent customer service with a nearly 10/10 reputation & rating
- Rewards programs for cash toward future purchases
- More HD videos of product reviews than any competitor
Since the above discount page’s launch in February 2012, it has seen 21,000 visits and has earned $1.58M in revenue to date.
To date, it is the 38th most visited page and the 5th most profitable page on an e-commerce website with over 550K pages. The conversion rate is 1,384% higher than site average.
The Additional Value:
By ranking organically for discount queries, companies can avoid paying affiliate fees to coupon/deals sites that can charge up to 6%. In the above case, that would result in a $96,000 loss.