If you’re in the Ecommerce space, chances are you’ve been planning for the holidays since the summer; this is an online retailer’s Superbowl after all. And while Santa has been busy making his list, online publications and businesses have been hard at work compiling holiday gift-giving guides.
With Deloitte anticipating an increase of 25% to 35% in online holiday sales, tis the season to get your product featured. People are already showing heavy search interest early on this year:
Follow the tips in this post to help get your pitch opened and your product featured in this season’s best holiday gift guides.
Like any outreach, there are a few considerations to ensure you get your products featured:
- Do conduct research (we recommend tools like SparkToro, Reddit, etc.) to understand what your audience is wishing for this season
- Do test your subject lines
- Do review editorial calendars using PR tools etc.
- Do get a list of every gift guide in your vertical for the past 4 years (to see if they plan to refresh it this year)
- Do follow HARO for gift guide submission opportunities
- Do personalize your outreach (no blanket sends). If you send a product, include a handwritten note.
- Do reach out to the editor to streamline your pitch
- Do pitch suggestive list ideas that your product would be the best suited for (i.e. “good gift for mom/dad”, “under $25”, “luxury”, etc.) to give an idea of how to feature your product
- Do check your referral data to identify which sites are already sending you quality referral traffic and driving revenue
- Do be prepared to provide original imagery or content to accompany your product
- Do cross-promote on social if your product gets featured
- Do use free monitoring tools to track your brand for mentions across the web
While there are more Do’s than Don’ts — be sure to avoid these common blunders when pitching sites to be included in a Holiday Gift Guide:
- Don’t pitch the same product that was featured a previous year to the SAME list
- Don’t reject an opportunity just because they will only link to your Amazon listing
- Don’t assume you won’t get featured when they don’t respond (sometimes, you’ll be featured and they were too busy to tell you)
- Don’t send the manufactures description (even if you are the manufacture)
OK, so it’s possible that some guides are not yet finalized — note that most require a physical product in their hands before they’re featured.
At this point of the year, you’re up against shipping and review times — making it all the more important that you start outreach in the summer for major publications, while targeting September-October for others.
Have a question about holiday gift guide outreach? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter (@SeerInteractive)!