As we draw 2011 to a close I thought it would be fun to highlight Seer’s top 50 blog posts for the year. Which post got the most attention? (Hint, it wasn’t Wil Reynolds!) Who got retweeted the most? Who had the longest title?
Who Got the Most Landing Page Visits?
Source: Google Analytics API Data: Total number of landing page visits across all of the author’s blog posts between Jan 1st and Dec 21st.
Top Posts by Author for 2011
- Adam Melson: Seo Lessons Through Cutts Pictures
- Rachael Gerson: New Google Analytics
- Wil Reynolds: How To Produce 2-3 Quality Blog Posts In 1 Hour A Month
Who Got Retweeted The Most?
Source: Twitter API, Data: URL Tweet count
I thought I would mention: Adam beat Wil by 5 tweets!! He got a grand total of 905 tweets and Wil got 900 tweets. This was as of Dec 21st around 4pm EST when I hit the Twitter API across all the URLs. I’m just glad I made it on the list
Who Had The Most Number Of Posts in the Top 50?
Source: Google Analytics API Data: Total number actual posts.
Which Team Had More Posts in the Top 50?
The numbers speak for themselves. The PPC team is spending more time in Excel than WordPress. Maybe that’s why they’re Excel ninjas.
Who Had The Longest Blog Title in 2011?
Count em’… 96 characters! It’s OK, you can still Tweet it You still got 3 characters if you used the entire title in a tweet, shortened it with Bit.ly, and added “RT @bonnieschwartz:(space)”
Top 50 Seer Blog Posts of 2011
Without further adieu, here it is …
- Adam Melson – Seo Lessons Through Cutts Pictures
- Ethan Lyon – Using Twitter And Backlinks To Build Links
- Rachael Gerson – Google Analytics Browser Tools
- Ethan Lyon – Competitor Backlink Analysis In Excel
- Ethan Lyon – Why Aren’T You Using Twitter To Build Links
- Brett Snyder – How I Wrote 500000 Unique Googlebase Descriptions In 2 Hours
- Rachael Gerson – Secure Search Rolls Out
- Wil Reynolds – A Peek Into How I Do Link Building In A Boring Industry
- Chris Le – Importxml Cookbook
- Rachael Gerson – New Google Analytics
- Rachael Gerson – Dealing With Not Provided
- Melissa Alam – Pinning Your Interest The Potential Value Of Pinterest
- Adam Melson – Google Testing 12 Sitelinks
- Wil Reynolds – Google 1 Impact On Seo Not Like
- Jessica Hill – Seo Website Redesign Checklist
- Wil Reynolds – Seo WordPress Plugin To Export Commenters And Find Influencers W Domain Page Authority
- Morgan Talasnik – Start Collecting Your Cookies Setting Up Remarketing Tags 101
- Brett Snyder – We Screwed Up How We Still Managed 25 Success
- Ryan Fontana – Go Beyond The Rankings Talk Revenue With Your Clients
- Adam Melson – Qualify Great Links
- Nico Miceli – Outreach Tips And Tricks To Increase Efficiency
- Wil Reynolds – When Advanced Link Building No Rankings
- Chris Le – Dear Seos And Developers You Both Suck
- Brett Snyder – 100 Panda Recovery What We Learned To Identify Issues Get Your Traffic Back
- Wil Reynolds – A New Approach How To Pick A Semseo Company Using Linkedin Twitter
- Wil Reynolds – Affiliate Summit Keynote Links
- Aaron Levy – Using Sq Reports To Prioritize Keywords And Write Better Content
- Bonnie Schwartz – Step By Step Guide To Spying On The Competition With Keywordspy Downloadable Excel File Included
- Brett Snyder – Beware Google Analytics May Be Lying To You
- SEER – Link Buying Nine Ways To Get Them For Cheap
- Amanda Mancuso – Using Linkedin For Your B2B Strategy
- Aaron Levy – Does Google Promote What They Preach Critiquing The Adwords Login Images
- Michelle Noonan – 3 Algorithm Changes 3 Ga Changes In 30 Days
- Mark Lavoritano – How Good Ux Can Lead To Seo Results Mini Case Study
- Adam Melson – Architecture Issues Caught Early
- David Karalis – Overview Of Spyfu Recon Files Report
- Wil Reynolds – How To Produce 2 3 Quality Blog Posts In 1 Hour A Month
- Rachael Gerson – Basic Regex For Google Analytics
- Adam Melson – Logo Linking Opportunities
- Chris Le – Google Analytics Data Export Api With Rubygattica
- Wil Reynolds – Link Builders Do You Look At The World Through A Link Building Lens
- David Karalis – In House Seo Vs Seo Agency – Which Is Better
- SEER – All Seo’S Do Paid Linking Google Doesn’T Care
- Francis Shovlin – Google Changes Display Of Top Position Ads
- Adam Melson – Linkedin Changed Your Profile Links To 302 Redirects
- Chris Le – Hash Bang Good For The Web But Isnt Ready For Prime Time
- Jessica Hill – Google Product Search Displaying Nearby Stores
- Adam Melson – Link Research Easy Link
- Bonnie Schwartz – Step By Step Guide For Using Adwords Campaign Experiments Ace For Ad Copy Testing
- Morgan Talasnik – Part 2 Ppc Tools You Wished You Learned About In College
How I collected and calculated the data:
(Because I know the entire Seer team is going to grill me after I post this. LOL)
The top 50 blog posts were ranked by the total number of landing page visits between Jan 1st and Dec 21. I used Google Analytic’s API. I chose landing page visits because I wanted to have it be the first thing they went to from an external link.
Posts made at the beginning of the year had a clear advantage: they had more time to accumulate visits. To compensate, each post’s visits was multiplied by a weight to normalize them. The weight was simply the date it was posted divided by the number of days to 12/19 to eliminate the bias of age – ie: the post received less advantage the earlier in the year it was posted.
Tweets were from the Twitter API for that particular URL. URL shorteners probably make the numbers do funny things. I’m sure there are a million different ways to slice and dice the data. I thought this method was simple and straight forward. Eh. For this blog post it’s close enough